Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fab Alameda Finds

So in my last post I mentioned that I would tell you about the great finds from the June Alameda. ( okay I'm a bit later than a day, but here at the beach house we are on island time, so a day is all relative) .

Let's start with this fabulous blue thread and sewing notions holder. Behold the color and the design details. How genius to have the tray at the top for pins and other such small items. I may just be motivated to make a small pin cushion for one side of the tray. I think I have just the material. A vintage Hawaiian print, blue and green floral. Hmmm. Creative juices flowing. Caution ahead!!!

I also found a cut little pineapple Coco Joes pineapple Lava key chain, a mini green happy foot treasure craft #3 foot ash tray (perfect for paperclips or beads when crafting), and a blue flower bead necklace from my tiki man vendor. I will not supply name or booth number as a girls got to have some secrets. In May I also bought some rock'in 50's sunglasses with cases from him.

Speaking of Hawaii. I also picked up 2 hand beaded shell strands, a bit big for necklaces, maybe small waistbands? They might come in handy for a Tahitian costume. And my steal of the day, that also stole my heart. A vintage 'uli' uli. It's similar to maracas, and hearing my daughter's and my Kumu sing and play it was pure heaven. Our Kumu also promised my daughter when her hands were big enough to hold it properly she would teach her a special song to play with it. So jealous... Back to my smooth moves. A gentleman had picked it up, kinda looked and it and put it down. I slowly sauntered over, gingerly picked it up, turned to the booth owner and calmly "Uhm how much for this?" "$5" I was so professional."oh okay. I'll take it thanks" Calmly and quickly pulling out a $5 bill, while on the the inside I was screaming to myself and doing a wild and crazy happy dance. OH MY GOD this is one of the coolest things everrrrr. It was definitely made to find its way to the beach house. I'm so lucky for my super power of finding very cool shit at great prices. And of course still to myself , saying thank you to the gentleman who had picked it up for bringing it to my attention and to the booth owner, thank you thank you thank you, you just made my day. The wee one also went a bit nuts. "oh for me?" "Uhm no, this is mommy's but you can borrow it." "Can I borrow it now?" And off she went sing and dancing hula and playing the 'uli' uli as all little hula dancers should. It was quite a show and made it very easy to keep track of where she was.




As you could have also guessed from the last post. I bought a groovy white bench. It is surprisingly tres comfortable. Sometimes furniture such as this can be a bit stiff, and not having much padding on my back side a bit well, uncomfortable. Makes a perfect seat for a mini float for a mermaid princess. Hmmmm. Don't get any ideas little one. If you check out the next post you can see this bad boy in action at the beach house.

Can't wait till July!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment